Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Beginning of it All

Christian Eric Hansen
My eldest boy was born on Tuesday, June 12, 2000 at 12:04 p.m. He was our biggest baby and my quickest birth. Funny that the biggest baby was delivered the quickest. Strange and remarkable. His delivery fit his short little life. He was a remarkable little guy and strange at times too. I wanted to write his story down so that if the heavens open and answer my prayers and I forget the horrendous ending of this sweet child, I will have it documented for future generations. This will be hard at times, but I feel it will be cathartic for me as well. Maybe I can get my frustrations, emotions, thoughts, etc. out of my head and actually think clearly for one day without pain clouding my thoughts. I will write his story in parts, largely because I don't think I can write the whole thing at once with tears welling up and spilling down my face. It's hard to think about, so writing it and putting it into words will be a real feat. One, two, three, here we go.
I always wanted a huge family and now I have that only, one child is missing. Christian is/was everything a mother wants in a little boy. He was our big tough and rumble boy and at the same time he was soft and cuddly too. He only lived a short 4 years and almost 8 months, but he filled our lives with such joy and love. He was our second child and was born only 16 1/2 months after our first child. He always moved crazily in my tummy and liked it so much in there that he wouldn't come out. He grew like crazy and I was sure he was just gonna pop right out of my belly. My belly couldn't stretch anymore and he was measuring 46 cm at 40 1/2 weeks. The doctor said it was time to get him out and so we went to be induced. My babies like my body so much that they have all been induced or delivered by C-sect. Crazy kids! My body also doesn't like to efface all the way so we had to go in on the night of the 11th for Cervidil. Fast forward to the morning of the 12th, my doctor broke my water at 7:30 in the morning and put me on pitocin. The nurses checked every hour and at 11 in the morning one said oh you're only at 7. You have awhile. Well I was feeling intense pain about 15 minutes later and my doc checked me and said o.k. time to push. What??? I couldn't believe it. They got everything ready and seriously no joke, 2 big pushes and my big baby boy was out! The nurses couldn't believe it, they were saying I can't believe you pushed that huge baby out. To me, Christian just looked like a little baby boy, until they told me how much he weighed and how long he was. My little guy weighed in at 9 lbs. 13 oz. and was 22 inches long. I was in labor for about 4 1/2 hours and pushed him out with only 2 pushes. Extremely remarkable, given that my tiniest baby-Kaleigh-weighed in at 7/10 and only 18 inches long took me 13 1/2 hours. However, the pushing stage has always been quick, usually about 3-5 pushes and they are out.
Fast forward to cuddling with my guy. He was so cute and long,long,long! He was a skinny, long baby for the first 6 months and then he finally got some chub only to lose it again when he turned 2. He grew so fast that my milk wasn't enough and didn't come fast enough for him. He's our only baby I didn't nurse for the first year. We only lasted until he was 3 months old and then switched to formula. He also had colic and his days and nights mixed up for the first 2 months of his life. It was tough, but I held him lots and just loved on him. He's the only child that I still have the photo of us sleeping together in our bed. I don't like myself in photos and the other kids' photos got thrown out or deleted. I'm glad I have Christian's. He didn't start sleeping through the night until he was 8 months old, but it was out of pure necessity. At that time in our lives it was just me, Alexis, and Christian. The hubs was living and working in Texas. The babies and I were waiting for our house to sell, all while I had a new little bun in the oven. Crazy times! I didn't know it then, but that was a piece of cake compared to what was headed our way.
Christian developed just like he was suppose to. He met all his development milestones, he was happy and extremely healthy. He was never sick, and I mean NEVER! He never even had a little cold. He was as healthy as an ox, until...

No comments:

Post a Comment